The Movie Colony is one of the most notable Palm Springs Neighborhoods and the reason is fairly obvious. It was home to such notables as Cary Grant, Jack Benny, Harry Cohn, and David O. Selznick (think Gone With the Wind) to name a few so a walk here is a walk back in time.
Near the Old Las Palmas neighborhood, The Movie Colony has roughly 170 homes and two parks and is centrally located and convenient to downtown Palm Springs. Ruth Hardy Park has tennis courts, basketball courts, 2 volleyball courts, 2 play areas for children, plus ample picnic tables and parking. It’s also a very popular park to bring your dog for a romp. The Wellness Park has a ¼ mile loop for walking or jogging, 5 exercise stations, and four gardens including a meditation garden, healing garden, fragrance garden, and memorial garden.
The El Mirador Hotel (now the Desert Regional Medical Center) was a big draw for the Hollywood elite in the early days of The Movie Colony. Originally the hotel had 165 rooms and was advertised as a truly wonderful luxury hotel. It was later converted to a hospital during World War II and has remained that way ever since though its stately tower can be seen from all over the city.
The Movie Colony community offers a mix of Spanish style, Mid-Century Modern and the famous California ranch style architecture. One aspect of the Movie Colony homes is they are concealed from view by walls and landscaping. Movie Colony homes were mostly built beginning around 1940 through around 2000.
As location is everything, this great neighborhood is a short walk from downtown or to some superb nearby restaurants. One of note is Copley’s which was once the home of Gary Cooper. Then there’s Trio, Jakes, Ricks, Birba, Cheeky’s…….